* If using the dried beans variety, soak the beans in enough water overnight. (If using fresh or frozen skip this step).
* Next day pressure cook the beans until they are soft. Make sure they are not overcooked.
* Make the coconut masala, by grinding coconut along with red chillies, salt, tamarind, water and coriander seeds. The masala should be made into a very fine paste. Add more water if required.
* In the meanwhile heat up a thick bottomed pan. Add the coconut paste and the cooked beans together, boil until the raw smell of coconut is gone.
* Add more water if necessary. Check for taste and adjust the seasonings if required.
* Note: The Tadka/tempering is done after the coconut curry is boiled along with the coconut masala. Now separately make a tadka(seasoning) of oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves, chopped onions and crushed garlic.
* Add this to the boiled coconut curry and close the lid. Mix well before serving.
More articles: Recipes, Indian Recipes,